A teacher's ramblings on writing, music and the wider world.

Monday 1 August 2011

Frustcitement

Ugh, today I became simultaneously depressed and enlightened about the novel I am writing.  I had a light-bulb moment whilst sipping my coffee - "You know what?" said my brain, "This plot is cliche, boring, and completely waffly!"  The funny thing was, I couldn't help but agree with the sudden realisation, and at the same time hate myself for not realising sooner!  But I have since been considering some serious revisions to begin hacking my current 25k words to shreds, slashing plain characters (found three already), really building the world in which the novel is set, and actually writing something decent!  Well, that last part is wishful thinking, but all the rest is well and truly achievable.

I had the awkward moment's thought where I considered trudging forward through the tripe, since that is what much of the advice seems to suggest, however it seems positively fruitless when all I'll be doing eventually is making changes I could have made now.  No point waiting until the pile of poop blocks out the light; best clean it while there is still some sunshine.

On a lighter note, the short story I wrote and my wife perused the other day, somehow morphed into an idea for a novel; seventeen chapters just planned themselves today.  Such fun.

All this talk of tripe and fruit has me pining for some supper.

Bonne nuit,
Luke

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with your writing projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, those light bulb moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And speaking of support, consider yourself Liebstered!

    http://doubtingwriter.blogspot.com/2011/08/liebstered.html

    ReplyDelete