A teacher's ramblings on writing, music and the wider world.

Saturday 27 August 2011

The Little Things

Great balls of cinders!  Has it really been that long since I last posted?  I knew this point would come.  Anyway, I was waiting for my coffee to cool earlier today, just enjoying watching the steam wisp and dance its way into nothingness.  I spent a good five minutes just watching the steam rise, the lack of a pattern in its movement; its complete and utter disregard for straight lines. 

It is one of those 'little things' that you do not ordinarily stop to notice, but when I did, it swept me up completely - I was totally enthralled!  I have a friend whose aim for 2011 was to record one 'little miracle' every day of the year.  He was going really well for a start, but then fell down (as many of us have a tendency to do).  I thought, "I'm going to try that, but just for one month: September".  So in a couple of days my journal of 'Little Things' will commence.  It need not be long, perhaps only a sentence or two.  We live in a very special place, on a completely incredible planet, and take a lot for granted.  Hopefully September will help me open my eyes a little more.

Please feel free to join in with your own 'Little Things' during September.  I will be posting up my little things every few days.

Oh, and I was reading about NaNoWriMo - god, it's only a couple of months away, and I'm going to have a shot at it!

Must be crazy,
Luke

2 comments:

  1. Great idea, Luke. I am enthralled by steam and smoke -- the only interesting thing about cigarettes, in my opinion, is the way the smoke rises from either end.

    NaNoWriMo: Not good for everyone, but it was good for me. It really gave me a good kick start. I'm not sure if I'll do it this year, unless I can finally clear my WiP off my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a good idea. We take so much for granted and in doing so, miss much! BTW, hello from another member of AW.

    ReplyDelete