A teacher's ramblings on writing, music and the wider world.

Sunday 24 July 2011

Sleep please

Last night I was taken back to my teenage years when my wife and I watched Dead Poets' Society.  I couldn't remember where I'd seen it before, but then it came to me that we studied it in my penultimate high school year!  Wow, what a film.  I can't think of another film that better grapples the concept of freedom's constant struggle against the overwhelming presence of conformity.  Naturally I had my teacher hat on while viewing, and why not?  It's an inspiring film for teachers.  Even though it is a movie, the point still remains that illustrating a concept by involving people in it, is by the far the best route to enlightenment.  John Keating (Robin Williams) tackles the hurdle of conformity head on when he takes the students to the courtyard and lets them walk around freely and without inhibition.  There are so many great scenes like this.

It's very early, why did I get up?  I suppose I had a sudden burst of energy that propelled me from my bed and before I knew it I was upright.  That gets me thinking, what is the earliest you have ever got out of bed to write?

Bleary-eyed,
Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment